Dementia Friends sessions are held at the Essence Centre regularly throughout the year. These are one-off sessions.
Those who have attended our past sessions have given great feedback.
Prior knowledge and experience of dementia is not needed in order to be a Dementia Friend. Obviously it is helpful to want to know a little bit more about what it’s like to live with dementia and then turn that understanding into something that could make a difference to people with dementia living in your community.
So, what is a Dementia Friend?
A Dementia Friend who attends one of the session learns more about the experiences of someone living with dementia – what is it like to live with dementia. This knowledge and understanding is then turned into action – it doesn’t matter what age you are, anyone can become a Dementia Friend.
Information sessions are a good way to gain this knowledge as you get the opportunity to learn more about dementia and the little ways you can help. Maybe you are caring for a friend or family member? Maybe you are a professional and want to learn a little more about dementia? These sessions are very valuable.
Dementia Friends sessions are facilitated by volunteer Dementia Friends Champions who have been trained and supported by the Alzheimer’s Society. The sessions last approximately a couple of hours. The aim is to learn more about dementia and how you can help to create dementia friendly communities.
Turning understanding into action
Knowledge and understanding can be turned into practical action. The action doesn’t have to be time-consuming. It could be something as simple as:
- Getting in touch and staying in touch with someone you know who is living with dementia
- Volunteering for an organisation that helps people with dementia
- Campaigning for change, for example, by signing up to Alzheimer’s Society’s campaigns to improve the lives of people with dementia
- Wearing your badge which you will be given at the end of a session and telling 5 friends about the Dementia Friends initiative
- Carrying out a personal action, for example, be more patient when out in the community
When are these sessions?
Our next planned Dementia Friends Sessions for 2019 are as follows:
- Tuesday 29th January 2019 – 1:30pm start – CANCELLED.
- Friday 1st March 2019 – 9:30am start.
Sessions normally last up to approximately 3.5 hours.
Please note, these are one-off sessions only. They are different to the Carers Understanding Dementia training which is a 5 week course.
Further dates to be added as and when they have been decided.
If you have any queries or would like to book a place on either of the above, please give the Essence Centre a ring on 0191 5221310.
The venue for these sessions:
The Essence Service, The Sir Thomas Allen Centre, Mill Hill Road, Doxford Park, Sunderland, SR3 2ND