What kind of support is available?
The service offers a wide range of practical and emotional support, including:
- Information to help you improve and maintain good health and wellbeing.
- Signposting to relevant organisations concerning legal and financial issues.
- Helping you to access other services that will benefit you.
A variety of activities that meet your needs and interests which are designed to keep your mind and body active.
Activities can help you stay independent and provide a sense of enjoyment, as well as socialisation and stimulation.
Head here… https://essenceservice.org.uk/essence-service-activity-programme/ …. for further information re the types of activities we have at the Essence Centre as well as on Zoom and our community groups across the city.
- Support for carers, providing a listening ear, as well as practical support and assistance.
– Valuable tips, advice, guidance and strategies regarding how to manage dementia changes – making life a bit easier for all concerned.
- Carer peer support groups – time for carers to socialise, share information and offer each other support. Check out our activity programme for details of when these run: https://essenceservice.org.uk/essence-service-activity-programme/
- Free Dementia Awareness for Carers Training is available (currently done virtually using Zoom):
We offer a one off introduction session, followed by a further 4 week course.
The 1 hour session will give you a brief understanding of what dementia is like for the person with the diagnosis, how daily life can be affected and what you can do to support them as they continue life’s journey.
This session is an excellent lead in to a more in depth course which will be available on selected dates to provide information about the different types of dementia, social and health care, support from other agencies, financial support, Power of Attorney, benefits, coping strategies and mindfulness to name but a few.
For further information, please contact the service on 0191 5221310.
Our work is person-centred and we provide a personal support plan based upon client and carer needs and wishes.
Where is the Essence Service delivered?
You will always receive a warm and friendly welcome at the Essence service. We are based at the Sir Thomas Allen centre next to Morrisons in Doxford Park (the building is linked to the community centre).
Our building received a Gold Award for its dementia friendly design which you will find open and welcoming.
We also deliver the Essence Service in every part of the City in local community bases. You can find out where and when we are in your area by clicking here.
© The Essence Service.